The „Ackerbürgerhäuschen“ is located in middle Franconia and was built around 1400. The building is listed for preservation and is situated in the old town of Hilpoltstein, which is listed as well. During the renovation of the Ackerbürgerhäuschen in 2016, Monika and Thomas Fritsch set themselves the goal of preserving not only the possibly 1,000-year-old cellar vault, but also the outer wall made of sandstone and the oak beams of the framework and roof truss. The house got the KfW Award “Bauen und Wohnen 2016” because of the excellent energetic renovation.
Step by step, always following the principle of the best possible solution, architect Michael Felkner is renovating the Ritterhof: the farmhouse from the late 17th century now houses his office and the flat for the family, but also a health food shop and a granny flat converted for age-appropriate living. The remaining heating needs are covered by wood and solar energy.
The single-family house was built in 1936 by Sep Ruf for the writer Josef Martin Bauer. It consists of two single-story structures with gable roofs, which are arranged in a Z-shape to each other, thus forming an entrance courtyard and a terrace courtyard. The house was acquired by the Ickler family in 2013. In order to be able to use the building as a residential house again, it had to be extensively renovated. For this purpose, a differentiated renovation concept was developed, which provided for specific measures and procedures for the building envelope and the interior respectively. In addition to coordination with the State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments, the craftsmen who carried out the work were also closely involved.
Early work Sep Ruf
Authentic, energy-efficient and ecological: the Straub family had specifically looked for an old farm; together with the architect, they succeeded in creating a cosy home. For the most part, the traditional use was retained, in some places reinterpreted for today's requirements. The historic building fabric from the 18th century was in good condition and was preserved as well as staged with modern materials. This also succeeds under the premise of sustainability, through insulation with cellulose fibres as well as a pellet boiler and solar panels for heating and hot water.
On the site of the former "Altenburg ob Kunstadt", the Burgkunstädter town hall, one of the most beautiful half-timbered houses in Franconia, has formed the town's skyline for over 300 years. In 1689/90, the master of baroque half-timbered construction, Jörg Hoffmann constructed the impressive decorative half-timbered structure on the early medieval masonry base together with master builder Hans Gebelein . After an inadequate restoration in the 1970s, considerable damage was found on the entire building in 2000. The aim of the overall renovation of the old building was to preserve and emphasise the historical value of this important monument and to equip it for the demands of the present day. All structural measures were implemented in close cooperation with the client and the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments.
Town Hall Burgkunstadt
The listed town hall in Bergrheinfeld was built in 1660 and has been converted and renovated again and again over the past centuries. The most recent restoration of the cultural heritage included, in addition to the existing old building, the construction of a modern, barrier-free extension building with a textile facade and together they form the new and modern center of the community.
Town Hall Bergrheinfeld
Alte Schäfflerei at Benediktbeuern Monastery
Ce projet de rénovation concerne l'ancienne HALLE REBATTET, située sur une zone industrielle au cœur de Grenoble. Ce dernier est le lauréat de l'appel à projet "Bâtiments démonstrateurs DEFFIBAT à basse consommation énergétique", en Rhône-Alpes, en 2017. Ce bâtiment est issue de la rénovation complète de l’aile Ouest de la halle Rebattet (du nom de son précédent propriétaire), l’aile Est ayant été démolie pour laisser place à un immeuble résidentiel. L’objet du projet concerne l'aménagement de la halle pour un usage de bureaux et d'un restaurant. La Société d'économie mixte Innovia, qui est en charge de la rénovation de la ZAC Bouchayer Viallet a entrepris des travaux d’aménagement de l’aile restante en vue de sa mise en vente : mur de fermeture de la halle à l’est, toiture, portes et fenêtres.
Halle Bouchayer Viallet
Cette ancienne ferme de 1826 construite dans le hameau du Pied de la Plagne, à Morzine, est constituée de grands volumes, d'une charpente historique et de façades en bois de pays. La municipalité avait déjà reconnu le caractère remarquable du bâtiment, les concepteurs et le maître d’ouvrage, ont souhaité une restructuration permettant de garder "l’esprit" du bâtiment originel. La partie habitation représentait une toute petite surface (40 m²). La mise en cohérence des aspects traditionnels avec de nouveaux usages, a permis de faire de la ferme d’autrefois un hébergement de standing contemporain, susceptible d’accueillir jusqu’à 14 personnes. Le parti-pris a consisté à conserver les volumes et la charpente ancienne et à retranscrire les codes anciens (platelage à claires-voies, épaisseur des murs, amplitude des volumes de la grange) de façon à créer un espace vaste et chaleureux. Cette demeure est composée de multiples pièces, répondant aux besoins de ses occupants, tout en étant en harmonie avec son environnement extérieur.
The approximately 250-year-old Gasthaus Adler in Langenegg was listed as a historical monument in 2002. The building was vacant for many years before it was purchased by a committed and technically talented neighbour. The new owner of the house renovated it mainly on his own. The brother of the owner, a well-known architect from Bregenz, developed an architectural concept based on which four residential units could be accommodated in the building. Due to the careful handling of the historically valuable elements, both on the inside and on the outside, the historical flair and the generosity of the traditional guesthouse could be retained.
Gasthof Adler Langenegg
Exemplary sustainable renovation of a historic mountain hut at 1,432 meters above sea level in Aurach near Kitzbühel. The renovation resulted in a significant increase in the levels of comfort in a mountain hut exposed to severe weather conditions. The building is used all year round after renovation.
Kelchalm - Bochumer alpine hut
Ahmet Aga Mansion
The farmhouse Huber is a listed building typical of the South Tyrolean countryside consisting of a main house and a barn. Given the poor conservation of the building, it went through an extensive refurbishment. The main goal was to adapt the house to modern standards while keeping unaltered its historic values and preserving it over time. Two apartments were created while preserving the old substance as much as possible. The barn was also renovated, rotten structural components were replaced and the roof was covered with shingles. The farmhouse Huber was awarded as the best energy-efficient renovation in 2008.
Farm house Huber
The revitalisation of the village centre and its versatile use, with an area of about 650 m2, has been realised by the refurbishment of a former farm, the Kasperhof in Patsch, which had been vacant for more than 20 years.
Cette ancienne bastide Saint-rémoise du XVIIIe siècle, acquise par le Parc Naturel Régional des Alpilles en 2007, accueil le siège administratif du Parc Naturel Régional, il s'agit également d'un lieu de sensibilisation du grand public. La Maison du Parc se compose d'un bâtiment rénové, auquel s’ajoute une extension en bois de style contemporain.
Maison du parc naturel régional des Alpilles
Mairhof, as listed farmer house, is situated on a hillside in the immediate vicinity of the centre of Partschins in Vinschgau. The rural house is characterised by its crenellated gables on the narrow sides, net vaulted corridors on ground and upper floor, as well as original "Stuben" and wooden ceilings with over 800 year old beams. The farm was awarded with the ITAS prize in 2018 for its first-class retrofit measures.
The restoration and energy refurbishment of Villa Capodivacca in Saccolongo, in the province of Padua, is among those we can define "low impact". The wise combination of new functions and adequate technical solutions has allowed the historical characteristics and the original atmosphere of the building to emerge that have been handed down over the centuries. From the intersection of the differentiated use of the three floors of the villa, the problems encountered and the constraints imposed by the Superintendence, an articulated project of restoration, static restoration and plant and energy renovation was born, which has been declined in different ways at the various levels (wall insulation by means of dry radiant panels, roof insulation, hybrid boiler and heat pump system and centralized controlled mechanical ventilation).
The former farmhouse was built in 1779 and consisted of a residential part as well as of a stable and a barn floor. It was one of the first farmhouses to be listed as a monument in Bavaria. The electrical system partially dated back to the beginning of electrification and the building was heated with a single oil stove and a wooden stove. The aim was to renovate the former farmhouse in a monument protecting and energetic manner, without losing the character and the substance of the historic building. Whereas the former living area is used for holiday guests, a new residential building was built into the former stable and barn floor, maintaining distance to the existing building envenlope.
The Giatla house, a 300-year-old farmhouse typical of the region, had been neglected and was in a very devastated condition. There were some indications that the house was sliding down the slope. A new use as a holiday apartment and a careful intervention has brought this building back to life.
In the aftermath of the 2007 global financial crisis and rampant global warming –and perhaps the demise of “starchitecture” as a default procedure to build urban identity–, the Palazzo del Cinema Locarno project is guided by principles of economy, trying to capitalise in the existing structure and the public affection for the Palazzo Scolastico –which used to host the local schools and now hosts a variety of NGOs and community associations, to provide an architectural identity for the new cinema complex in Piazza Remo Rossi in Locarno, in the shores of Maggiore Lake. At a time when energy resources are dwindling and climate change has become a crucial problem for our cities, it would have been irresponsible to simply discard the existing building in order to build an entirely new one, with the corresponding expenditure of vital resources. Urban Recycling is a more adequate strategy for this intervention. Three levels of action to reduce the emissions have been considered: demand reduction, improved energy efficiency of systems and improved building management. A solar plant of 135.7 kWp and an estimated annual production of about 130,000 kWh was installed on the roof.
PalaCinema Locarno - Locarno, Switzerland
Restoration of a former fire station and transformation into a music school including a comprehensive thermal-energetic renovation
Modernization of a Gründerzeit building with the use of an aerogel insulating plaster
A multi-purpose used convent building in the heart of Vienna has been refurbished with particular attention to monument preservation and to a new solution for renovating Viennese-type box windows.
The neo-baroque style house of the Hutterli Röthlisberger family from Bern/BE, dated 1898, has been extensively renovated and thermally refurbished between 2011 and 2015. The intervention concerns the thermal improvement of the envelope, intervening on walls, roof and windows. It also concerns the installation of a photovoltaic system and a solar thermal system, as well as the replacement of the gas heating system with a heat pump, geothermal probes and a stove. The intervention also involved the installation of a comfort ventilation system with heat recovery.
This renovation deserved the Swiss Solar Prize 2014.
Single family House - Bern, Switzerland
The comprehensive modernisation of the municipal office, which was built in 1937, has now also been completed to a high standard.
While the ground floor was on the raised ground floor before the conversion, large parts of this level have now been lowered to street level and glazed and thus converted into a barrier-free and transparent citizens' office. The renovation relies on night cooling and cross-ventilation. The reduction of the heating energy demand is achieved, among other things, by a wall system of interior insulation with clay plaster and at the same time makes it possible to leave the façade unchanged.
Community Hall Zwischenwasser
Mercado del Val is an iron market whose construction was completed in 1882 and it is located within the old town of Valladolid, Spain, being currently the oldest preserved market in the city. In 2013, the market was fully renovated recovering a late 19th century representative building of an architecture and commercial activity from that period, being respectful with its essence, but transforming it into an innovative building that meets the potentialities and commercial needs of the 21st century.
More pictures in https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/608678/es
Mercado del Val, Valladolid (Spain)
The mountain farm is located above St. Andrä, with a wide view over the Eisack valley. There are only meadows and woods all around, no traffic noise disturbs the peace and quiet. The old farmhouse has been renovated with loving attention to detail, while at the same time paying attention to a biological construction method and the use of regional materials.
The Oberbergerhof is located in the idyllic community of Montan. This was first mentioned in the 14th century and carefully renovated in 2016. The project won 1st place in the Bauern(h)auszeichnung and thus the ITAS Prize 2017 for the best renovation of a farmhouse in South Tyrol.
The multi-family house from the turn of the century was saved from demolition and extensively renovated. 6 apartments were set up with the latest technology and low energy consumption. The usable building fabric was carefully renovated and new elements added accordingly.
Casa Rossa Chemnitz
‘Rebecco Farm’ project is part of the “Resilient Valleys” program, carried out as part of the Cariplo Foundation’s “AttivAree” project and the Mountain Community of Valle Trompia, aimed to give new life to the area of the high valleys Trompia and Sabbia (Brescia, Italy) by enhancing their cultural, historical and environmental potential.
From an architectural point of view, the complex consists in two stone-walls buildings, in a state of abandonment and partially collapsed, with a covered area of about 300 square meters. Building A was used as a stable for recovering animals and agricultural furnitures, Building B was the main house where owners lived.
Given its strategic position, the rural complex of ‘Rebecco Farm’ has been retrofitted to house a bed and breakfast (in Building A) and an educational service (in Building B), for training and aggregation activities linked to the territory agricultural knowledge.
The Roman Catholic St. Franziskus Ebmatingen Church is emission-free after the energetic renovation in 2018/19. Although the building is not under heritage protection, represents a very valid example of a restructuring and energetic refurbishment of a historic building, evocation of the buildings of the movement modern in Switzerland and with interior design elements worthy of preservation, such as some stained glass windows, the altar, and particular furnishing elements of the building. Thanks to significantly improved roof insulation, the solar-powered geothermal heat pump, the use of solar heat with 161 m2 of photovoltaic thermal modules (PVT) and the LED lighting the church is a plus-Energy-Building with an energy supply of 221%. In fact, the parish of Ebmatingen manages to operate its church in a completely climate-neutral way. For this concept in combination with the architecturally outstanding implementation, the project has been awarded in 2019 with the Swiss and European Solar Prize. The jury justified its decision with the fact that the combination of old and new is well implemented
St. Franziskus Church - Ebmatingen, Switzerland
Every year in Switzerland more than 2,000 agricultural holdings are abandoned. The buildings often remain unused (CVP-Mo 11.3285). A redevelopment or conversion of older buildings into residential buildings is not always possible due to the federal legal restrictions on the preservation of cultural landscapes. It is questionable what a half- decayed building can do on a planet rendered uninhabitable by global warming due to development. Gabriela Matti proves that traditional buildings can easily be combined with the latest technology with the conversion of the unused Maiensäss in Gstaad. A comprehensive renovation transformed the unused and unheated wooden house into a modern PlusEnergyBuilding, that hasn't lost its "old charm."
Single Family House - Gstaad, Switzerland
The aim of the project and the associated construction measures is to repair the existing and restore the original condition. The floor plans will be spatially and functionally separated, with the aim of consistently uncovering the core building from 1765 on all floors. This restoration is connected with the aim of preserving the overall appearance of the building, repairing the roof, facades and surroundings and carefully restoring the prestigious south facade. From a technical point of view, the building is solidly stabilised and energetically brought up to the latest standards.
The project was developed with the involvement of the cantonal monument preservation authorities. Several meetings and inspections took place, on the basis of which the project was further developed in accordance with the requirements of the preservation of historical monuments.
Glaserhaus - Affoltern im Emmental, Switzerland
The diverse and unique industrial and technical heritage of Idrija’s 500-year-old mining history was inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage List in 2012. One of the crucial parts of the mercury mine was the smelting plant, which stopped operating in 1995. Its renovation and renewal was a significant challenge in terms of financing and expertise.
The energy renovation of the building was carried out in accordance with the possibilities and specifications of the building, which belongs to the technical cultural heritage.
Today the building serves as a museum with a visitor center that was additionally extended to the lower part of the smelting plant.
In 2020 it won the 2nd prize of the ‘Destination of Sustainable Cultural Tourism’ award under category of industrial heritage. The theme of the 2020 edition of Awards was ‘Special interest tourism development and promotion based on Cultural Heritage’. The Awards contest was open to tourist destinations across Europe, to showcase their results and outputs in sustainable cultural tourism under five selected categories. It is annualy organised by European Cultural Tourism Network.
Idrija mercury smelting plant
The “maison Rubens” is a typical middle-class row house from late 19th century, in neoclassical style. It reflects the Belgium bourgeoisie life at this period. House is organized in 3 zones: a main part including reception and living space (2/3) and secondary space for stairs, services and corridors (1/3). It has a heritage interest within its decorated front façade (balcony, ceramic tiles and blue stone) and the stucco ornamentation on the ceiling and cornicing at the top of the wall, as well as its marble mantelpiece. Since 1888 (date of construction) no major renovation had been done. The building was almost in its original condition, but in very bad conservation state. The renovation followed two main goals: i) very good insulation (using bio-based materials) and mechanical ventilation of the whole house while conserving the valuable heritage details. ii) energy consumption below 60 kWh/m²y
This project was the thermal upgrade of a traditional building in Perth dating to 1927. This included improvements to the insulation of the walls, floor and roof as well as better natural ventilation. Natural and vapour open materials were prioritised. The project was a success and improved the U-values of individual elements considerably. This project was used to inform further refurbishment of other buildings on the estate.
The building is located in Hundested, in the northern part of Zealand about seventy kilometres northwest of Copenhagen, Denmark. Klitgaarden is a free standing single-family house from 1875 in two stories with a total of 221 m2. The building is erected with solid masonry walls and a foundation of granite boulders on top of a stone foundation. The renovation project of the building aimed for a minimum heating requirement and a preservation of original outdoor facade details. It was finished in 2016. The renovation was motivated by a very high-energy demand for heating and in general the fact that the house had not been used in twenty years.
The Irgang family has been dealing with the idea of demolishing the old Rhine valley house and building a new one for a long time. But this idea finally gave way to the advantages of the renovation. Decisive factors were the floor plans which offered many possibilities, the family-related history, the charm of the old Rhine Valley House and last but not least the comparison of costs and usable space.
Rhine Valley House Irgang
The potential that lies dormant in vacant properties and which must be exploited is shown by the "Öeconomicgebäude" in Dornbirn, which has been brought back to life. Contemporary living and working are being introduced into the sensitively adapted urban barn, which is a listed building.
For Julia Kick, who acted in this project in the dual role of architect and builder, the "Oeconomiegebäude" was a stroke of luck, because in her work she has been dealing intensively with the topic of vacancy for several years. The adapted building is a successful example of a sensible adaptation of listed buildings to protect them from vacancy.
Oeconomy building Josef Weiss
"Cozy, comfortable, plesant - our home! The atmosphere of old and new, the special character and the history that come with an old house, make it something special. Based on experience we can say: dare to preserve old building fabric. You won't regret it!" says the owner.
Built in 1878, the house has always been owned by the same family. In 2011 the Rhine-valley house was renovated by the great-great-great-grandson of the builder with a lot of passion and love for detail.
Baur Residence, Lustenau
This building was constructed in the second half of the 19th century for the residence of mining families. It has several characteristics of the miners house which is typical for the town of Idrija and represents very unique architecture. Mercury mining in Idrija has a long tradition and also global recognition as Unesco World Heritage Site since 2012. The building was in residential use until 2004, when it was so damaged by an earthquake that it was no longer habitable. Today, the ground floor is used for business premises and the upper floors are organized as apartments. For the needs of energy rehabilitation of the building, the external walls and roof were adequately insulated. Facade ornaments were made anew in accordance with the cultural heritage office demands.
Rožna ulica 15, Idrija
History of this building goes back to the early 30s of the 20th century when a new complex of the Cantore barracks was built by Italians in order to defend the Rapallo border which ran along the nearby peaks. It was used as a kitchen and a dining place. Within the renovation in 1999 the original structure was refurbished and upgraded in line with the local building typology (Bovec house). Traditional wooden roof was built on top of the original concrete flat roof. In 2012 energy renovation took place. The entire building was insulated and organised as a multipurpose house.
The case shows how non typical architecture (former military barrack) can be renovated and upgraded in a way that it gains traditional elements while following today's energy renovation standards.
Hiša trentarskih vodnikov
The house was built after the 1st world war as notary's villa in the former periphery of Tolmin where richer buildings were located. The house expresses the characteristics of secession and is listed in the Register of Slovene cultural heritage. Firstly served as a single family house, after the 2nd world war it was used for State security administration. Later it was rearranged to a four apartment building. The earthquakes in 1998 and in 2004 caused severe damage on the building. It was therefore included in the national programme of renovation after the earthquake.
The Kohlerhaus, a building dating back to the 14th century, was renovated to accommodate 10 apartments with the high standards of comfort and efficiency. The historical research carried out by the architect revealed the rich past of the building, that served as priest house, hotel or guest house. The retrofit of the building included external insulation the wall with reed mats, new replica windows and new building services (radiating heating and mechanical ventilation).
This timber-framed building is located in Saint-Samson-la-Poterie in the Oise region (northern France), over Paris, and especially in the natural region called "Pays de Bray". It was the barn of a landlord housing of the 17th century and it has recently been retrofitted and restored by the owner himself. A careful work on the materials and on the execution was made. The barn is one of the case studies of the CREBA (French knowledge center for responsible retrofit of heritage building) website.
Timber-framed barn in the north of France
This typical residential building from the end of the 19th century, was outdated and in need for renovation. The indoor climate was poor and the energy consumption quite high. After a renovation that included new windows, thermal insulation on walls and ceiling, improved air-tightness, mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, and photovoltaic, the building achieved a 63% reduction in energy demand.
Ryesgade 30 A-C
The owner managed to renovate the building in a way, which kept the outer appearance. The hole faced and situation of the roof were kept. The main house did not change much while the extension change in function and design to a more modern part of the building.
All windows were exchanged by wooden windows, which all have good thermal values.
The living area changed from a 4 flat house of 370m² for in average 5 person to a 7 flat house for 12 residents.
The heating requirement before renovation was 142 kWh/m²a and could be reduced to a quarter of this. A thermal solar system now supports the former heating system of gas.
House Maurer, Wolfurt
The Osramhuset was originally built in 1953 as an office and warehouse for A/S Dansk Osram. When the building was originally erected it was a breath of fresh air to an otherwise grey, worn down and monotone part of Copenhagen. Today the building acts as a culture and community centre and exploits daylight and natural ventilation to improve the indoor climate.
Osramhuset (The Osram Building)
As part of the Alpine building culture, many agricultural buildings outside of the protection of historical monuments have a high identification character and, if they are in good structural condition, store CO2 in their building materials in addition to expertise in historic building techniques. According to an inscription above the main gate, Stable B is a good hundred years old, and parts of the building are probably even from the 18th century. The wooden cladding of the facade is most likely from 1914. The associated farmhouse was demolished at the beginning of the 1970s.
The aim was to convert the farm building into a high-quality residential building. In the process, the outer shell was supplemented by a few openings, which makes the new use of the building readable. The work on the original construction was carried out using old techniques wherever possible. Thus the plugged connections are again in this form. The outer wooden facade was preserved entirety.
House Breuer, Tschagguns
Villa Castelli is a listed building from the 19th century located at the riverside of Lake Como (Italy). The owners set the ambitious goal of renovating the Villa, which had belonged to the family for about 140 years, to the lowest possible energy demand while maintaining the original use of the rooms and the external appearance. The renovation achieved a 90% energy demand reduction and a significant increase in comfort, demonstrating that also a listed building can become nZEB.
The building complex with a double kindergarten and two penthouses built in 1914 consumed 184,300 kWh/a before the renovation. Thanks to the good thermal insulation and the use of direct solar generation, the total energy requirement was reduced by 84% to 29,400 kWh/a. 79 m² of the latest generation of solar panels bring a lot of light and heat into the building. Inside there is enough mass to absorb the heat and store it above ground.
Kindergarten and apartments - Chur, Switzerland
The value of the simplicity.
The renovation of the house Pernter in Truden is based on the character of the village. The building from 1923 was formerly used entirely for agricultural purposes. The typical Tyrolean style of the construction is expressed in the compact design with residential house, stable and barn under one roof. New user requirements and structural damages made the renovation necessary. The aim was to optimise the energy balance without altering the existing building envelope, because the rough, living plaster surface is one of the characteristic features of the houses in Truden. Emphasis was placed on the use of regional materials and the preservation of old building elements to preserve the atmosphere of the farmhouse. This resulted of all this sensitive measures is a modern living space, equipped with materials of lasting value, which start into the next century.
The multi-family house in Zurich needed a complete modernization. Thanks to the optimal use of building regulations and the vision of the architects, the new roof could be raised on the courtyard side so far that a new storey and thus more living space was created. Despite preservation requirements, the building could be well insulated today reaches the Minergie new construction standard.
For the placement of solar collectors, the roof was not optimally aligned and too small. Rentable terrace and energy-collecting panels must therefore share the space on the roof.
Apartment building Magnusstrasse - Zürich
The 300-year-old "Hof Neuhäusl" is a prime example of the combination of old building stock and energy efficiency. While retaining its historical appearance, the building was refurbished completely in 2017. The preservation of the façade required the implementation of consistent interior insulation. Inside, the rooms were restructured in order to meet the highest, modern living standards. The revitalisation of the courtyard was awarded with the "Tiroler Sanierungspreis" in 2018.
Renovation of ecological Freihof Sulz: Holistic redevelopment of the cultural heritage "Freihof Sulz", which is worthy of preservation, into a lively meeting place. A demonstration object for local culture and quality of life, old building techniques, as well as energy-saving and ecological renovation.
This project was the thermal upgrade and general improvements to a Listed property in Edinburgh dating from 1858. It was a whole house approach where the retention of historic fabric was a priority. Good results have been obtained and an improved energy rating (EPC) has been achieved. In addition various traditional features have been repaired and reused for the buildings new use.
Holyrood Park Lodge
This hard-stone elementary school is located in Mulhouse in the Alsace region (north-eastern France), near the border with Germany. It is a listed building, as it witnesses the history of the city of Mulhouse : it first was a spinning factory at a time which Mulhouse was well-known for its textile industry and became a school after the annexation of Alsace and Moselle by Germany in 1870. It has recently been retrofitted. The project reaches a balance between low energy consumption and heritage preservation, despite a constraint budget.
The school is one of the case studies of the CREBA (French knowledge center for responsible retrofit of heritage building) website.
Elementary School in Mulhouse, France
During the refurbishment of the building on Feldbergstrasse 4 + 6 in the old part of Basel, several requirements of the cityscape commission for façade and roof design had to be met. The challenge was to operate a 6-storey residential building with 12 apartments as completely as possible with solar energy in the protected zone of Basel-Stadt. The entire heat energy requirement (hot water, heating, home ventilation and auxiliary energy) is covered exclusively by the solar energy on the roof of the building.
Residential and commercial building Feldbergstrasse - Basel
Half timber framed, rendered vernacular detached building with late 17th century core, expanded on both sides in the 19th century. The building was out of use and in a very bad state at the moment of renovation. The purpose of the total building renovation (including improvement of energy performance and comfort) was residential reuse. The building renovation comprehended renovation of the roof, the external walls and windows, floor insulation as well as some other interventions such as introduction of a new condensing gas wall boiler, underfloor heating for the ground floor and radiators for the first floor.
Half-timberframed house in Alken, Belgium
As a visible sign of the shift from fossil fuels to renewable energies, the former coal silo and heating plant of the machine factory Sulzer Burckhardt AG in the "Gundeldinger Feld" in Basel is covered with colored PV modules. As part of a research project this best practice building investigates new approaches for BIPV integration as cladding innovative materials and new energy storage strategies. As "Gundeldinger Feld" ensemble is under heritage protection, the remodelled building was required to match the style and colour scheme of the site and all the old industrial area has been reconverted in a new model energy district. The project is part of the "2000 Watt society - pilot region Basel". Solar Silo project that was rewarded in the "renovation" category with the 2015 Swiss Solar Prize.
Solar silo in Gundeldinger Feld - Basel
This timber-framed house is located in Schnersheim in the Alsace region (north-eastern France), near the border with Germany. It belongs to the same family since the 17th century and it has recently been retrofitted and restored. The project reaches a balance between low energy consumption and heritage preservation.
The house is one of the case studies of the CREBA (French knowledge center for responsible retrofit of heritage building) website.
Timber-framed house in Alsace, France
The former farm house and later on home of the painter Angelika Kaufmann was almost 450 years old, when the architect and new owner Thomas Mennel decided to restore the building and play with it's given qualities. He kept the outward appearance and changed its internals into a spaceship full of places to experience, with its different light and shades - it is a playground and an oasis in the same.
Hof 6, Schwarzenberg, Voralberg, Austria
The renovation of the Mayrhof in Trins combines several best-practice solutions in one project. In particular, the use of a newly developed façade system and an extension using a house-in-house concept allow architectural and building physics aspects to harmonise with each other.
Farm house Trins
The Basilica di S. Maria di Collemaggio, L’Aquila, is a masterpiece of Abruzzese Romanesque and Gothic architecture and a very important religious site for the original Papal Jubilee devised by Pope Celestine V, who is buried there. The main challenge was to design a heating system comprehensive of its connections and pipes without interfering in the original appearance of the church, able at the same time to preserve the cultural heritage of the Basilica. The restoration of the Basilica was financially supported by ENI.
Basilica di Santa Maria di Collemaggio
This project was the refurbishment of an early 19th C croft house located near Braemar in the Cairngorms National Park. It is a rare survivor of a vernacular building type once common in Scotland and is Category 'A' Listed. Works included insulation to walls and floor, upgrades of the windows and the installation of a ground source heat pump.
Single-family house, restoration and new building extension.
Private residence building (historic not-listed building in Ticino) with NZEB target using also solar renewables energy in an integrated roof solution. The castle of Doragno was born from the transformation of an ancient medieval castle. The original stone walls are highlighted by the large windows that complete the volume of the existing building. An integrated photovoltaic system and solar collectors are installed on the roof.
Doragno Castle - Rovio, Ticino, Switzerland
The Rainhof is one of the most precious rural buildings of the Gsiesertal valley, at 1.500 m above sea level. Built with solid stone masonry walls and the vernacular “Blockbau” (solid wood) construction, the building presents many traditional features, such as windows with deep reveals, decorated painted frames around the windows, and vaulted ceilings. The project was awarded the 1st prize at the Bauern(h)auszeichnung - ITAS-Preis 2016 for the best renovation of a farmhouse in Südtirol.